Print & Play: Secret Pirate

For my backpack trip through Thailand I really wanted to take an exciting party game with me. It was clear to me that it was going to be Shitler (Secret Hitler - a werewolf / mafia like game - but better).

However, I didn't want to be the German guy who unpacks a game with this title. On it's self it's not easy to persuade random and foreign people to play a game xD

So I needed another variant of Shitler - something better suited to tropics, islands and jungle ...

A variant: Secret Pirate

Shitler variant: Secret Pirate
Luckily, there are many hardworking people who have very similar ideas. Wendel Voigt invented a great variant: Secret Pirate

The trick here is that all cards and roles are replaced by printed poker chips. These are packed in small bags and given to each player at the beginning of the game. This increases the game atmosphere immensely (and is incredibly high quality for a DIY game).

During my journey the game became self-fulfilling. The first evenings I had a hard job to convince other hostel guests to join. However, the tables turned around quickly - the following nights I was approached by strangers: 'Are you that guy with the Pirate game? Please count me in when you start the next round...'.
The next evenings, Pirates was the central theme at Aleena Minimart.
I have never played the game so often, in such a short time, with so many people as on my journey through Thailand.
A match of Pirates at the Aleena Minimart

Background Story

In this variant, everything is about Mr. Blackbeard. A real pirate who has infiltrated  a ship of the English fleet with his pirate followers. Outnumbered and disguised as loyal English sailors, the pirates try to steal the cargo and start a mutiny.
But they have to act secretly - because, if they get unmasked they are thrown off board and loose the game.

DIY: How to Print & Play Secret Pirates

Required materials:
Game Board Page 1
Artwork & Downloads:


In addition, I recommend my revised version of the game board. It is clearer and easier to read than the original Voigt version:
Expert tip: Print the two sides of the board on one A4 adhesive paper each (full-page) and stick them on the included Amazon box. This looks incredibly professional and yet totally DIY ;D




Comments